Frequently Asked Questions
Please review the frequently asked questions below. If you don’t find the answer to your question, feel free to setup a complimentary discovery consultation below.
WHAT IS FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE?
Functional Medicine is focused on understanding the underlying causes of disease. The Functional Medicine model is an individualized, patient-centered, science-based approach that empowers patients and practitioners to work together to address the root cause of disease and promote optimal wellness. It takes into account each patient’s genetic, biochemical, and lifestyle factors and leverages that data to direct personalized treatment plans that can lead to improved patient outcomes. By addressing root causes rather than symptoms, practitioners become oriented to identifying the complexity of disease. One condition may have many different causes, and, likewise, one cause may result in many different conditions. As a result, Functional Medicine treatment targets the specific manifestations of disease in each individual.
WHAT MAKES FUNTIONAL MEDICINE COACHING SO POWERFUL?
Functional Medicine Health Coaches can bridge the gap between a person and their doctor, helping clients better understand both their doctor’s diagnosis and their doctor’s recommendations for treatment. Implementing lifestyle changes in response to such recommendations can be daunting. Health Coaches are a key resource in a person’s support system that can keep them on track to achieve better heath and move them towards wellness rather than dis-ease. Functional Medicine Certified Health Coaches use a whole systems approach that integrates the principles of Functional Medicine, functional nutrition, eating psychology, and positive psychology. A Functional Medicine Health Coach will also be in regular contact with a person on their journey to wellness. They are there to listen to a person’s unique story and work with them on the daily lifestyle factors that significantly influence their quality of life such as: their local community, diet, home environment, school, workplace and faith-based communities. Health coaches help people on the path they choose to take to improve their health. Health Coaches are uniquely trained to help people come to understand what matters most to them, and become empowered to make lasting lifestyle changes to achieve their goals.
WHAT DOES A FUNCTIONAL MEDICINE CERTIFIED HEALTH COACH DO?
- Coaches provide one on one proactive and personalized support to empower people to take an active role in improving their own health through lifestyle changes.
- Coaches provide support between doctor’s office visits by addressing how environmental and lifestyle factors influence the emergence and progression of disease in everyday life.
- Coaches help people explore their options for improvement and provide resources that can assist them in making informed decisions.
WHAT ARE THE SESSIONS LIKE?
- sessions are generally 45 minutes in length (although an initial intake session is generally 60 minutes in length). sessions can be conducted by video conference, by phone or in person depending on desire and location
- Client’s share what’s on their mind, how they have generally been doing and how they’re feeling
- Melanie works with you to identify barriers to healthy lifestyle changes
- Melanie offers information, with the client’s permission, on strategies to improve health
- A plan is co-created: Clients, with the coach’s help, make a comfortable and attainable plan
WHAT TOPICS CAN BE ADDRESSED DURING COACHING SESSIONS?
- In coaching sessions, the client is the one who determines what topics will be focused on. Examples include adhering to practitioner recommendations, dietary plans, sleeping better, weight loss, developing and sticking with an exercise plan, cognitive health, performance enhancement and ways to reduce stress.
WHAT TRAINING HAS FUNCTIONAL VITALITY HEALTH COACH MELANIE RATHBUN RECEIVED?
- Melanie is a Functional Medicine Certified Health Coach, as granted by the Functional Medicine Academy, Inc., FMCA is the only Health program that is in collaboration with the Institute for Functional Medicine. Melanie also completed FMCA’s ReCODE (Reversing Cognitive Decline) course for Coaches.
ARE YOU A NUTRITIONIST, DIETICIAN, NURSE, NURSE PRACTITIONER, OR PHYSICIANS’ ASSISTANT?
- No. Health Coaches are not nutritionists, dieticians, nurses, nurse practitioners, or physician’s assistants. Health Coaches provide support and information so that clients can make choices and decisions that optimize a healthy lifestyle. Health Coaches do not diagnose or treat diseases or psychiatric conditions, write prescriptions, or provide therapy. Working with a Health Coach is not an alternative to seeing a doctor or licenced medical practitioner.
I HAVE A GREAT DOCTOR. DO I STILL NEED A HEALTH COACH
- Health coaching helps to bridge the gap between everyday life and doctor’s office visits. Melanie can consult with your doctor, with your permission, and work collaboratively to achieve your desired health outcomes.
Scheduling & Billing
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO BOOK APPOINTMENTS?
The best way is for you to use the online booking scheduler; you can see what type of appointment you require.
WHAT TYPE OF APPOINTMENTS DO I NEED?
- 20 minute complimentary discovery call
- 60 minute initial consultation
- 45 minute regular session
We have a range of options:
By credit card
E-transfer (Canada only)
SCHEDULING AND CANCELLATIONS
There is a 24 hour cancellation policy for appointments with Functional Vitality Health . Cancelling within 24 hours will result in a $25 missed session charge.
The Client platform we use is Practice Better. It is Canadian software that we chose because of its great user-friendly systems. It is also guided by HIPPA & PIPEDA compliant security rules, so that all your information is both secure and available for you to see. When you book your first appointment you will be sent a link to join Practice Better.
Take The First Step On Your Journey Back To Health
Maybe you have some questions you’d like to ask to see if Functional Vitality Health is right for you.