Many Farmers Markets are up and running and it’s a great time to go visit! Precautions are in place so go ahead and get back out there and support your local farmers. The current global pandemic has only increased the need for fresh and nutritious food, and our local food system and farmers are
in need of support.
If you don’t want to stand in line to shop, many markets have set up online ordering so you can prepay before you head to the market, then simply pick up your prepared box. Get out there and have fun knowing you’re contributing to our local food system! While you’re at it be
sure to thank your farmer. They have not slowed down and would appreciate a word of encouragement and support
Ten reasons to support farmers markets:
1. Taste real flavors, fresh from the farm
2. Enjoy the season – look forward to and appreciate food that reflects it truest flavor
3. Support family farmers – give them a fighting chance in today’s globalized economy
4. Protect the environment – cut travel times and packaging
5. Nourish yourself – nutritious produce using sustainable techniques, picking produce right before the market, and growing heirloom varieties
6. Discover the spice of life: variety. Savor the biodiversity of our planet and discover an amazing array of produce that you don’t see in your average supermarket
7. Promote humane treatment of animals – you can find meats, cheeses and eggs from animals that have been raised without hormones or antibiotics, who have grazed on green grass and eaten natural diets, and who have been spared the cramped and unnatural living conditions of feedlots and cages that are typical of animal agriculture
8. Know where your food comes from – learn about the people who work hard to bring you the most delicious and nutritious food around
9. Learn cooking tips, recipes and meal ideas – you will get plenty of advice and tips on how to cook the food they are selling
10. Connect with your community – coming to the farmers market makes shopping a pleasure rather than a chore. It’s a great place to meet up with your friends and family.