Ingredients (serves 4):
2 lbs Lamb Shank
1/2 tbsp Sea Salt (Divided)
2 tbsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil (Divided)
1 Yellow Onion (Chopped)
2 Carrots (Chopped)
1 1/2 pints Bone Broth
6 Garlic (clove, peeled and left whole)
1/16 oz Thyme Sprigs
1 serving Cinnamon Stick (small)
1 tbsp Orange Zest
2 tbsps Orange Juice (Freshly Squeezed)
1. Preheat your oven to 350ºF (176ºC). Season the lamb shanks on all sides with half of the salt.
2. In a dutch oven, or other large, oven-safe pot, heat half of the oil over medium-high heat on the stove. Brown the lamb on all sides, in batches if necessary, about 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer the browned lamb shanks to a plate and set aside.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and in the same pot add the remaining oil. Add the onions and carrots and sauté until the onions start to soften about 5 minutes. Season with the remaining salt. Add the bone broth to the onions and carrots followed by the garlic, thyme, cinnamon and orange zest. Stir to combine. Bring the bone broth liquid to a gentle boil then add lamb shanks back to the pot.
4. Cover the pot with a lid or foil and place in the oven. Braise the lamb covered for 75 minutes and then remove the lid and continue to cook uncovered for another 75 minutes, basting occasionally. Additional bone broth or water may need to be added to the pot if the braising liquid evaporates too quickly and the pot becomes dry.
5. Remove the lamb shanks from the pot and set aside to keep warm. Remove the thyme sprigs and cinnamon stick from the braising liquid and whisk the orange juice. Season with additional salt if needed.
6. Divide the lamb shanks between plates and serve with the braising liquid as a sauce. Enjoy!