1 1/2 tsps Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 lb Extra Lean Ground Turkey
1 Yellow Onion (diced)
5 Garlic (cloves, minced)
3 cups Diced Tomatoes (drained)
3 cups Crushed Tomatoes
3 Bay Leaf
1 tsp Oregano
1 Spaghetti Squash
1/2 cup Basil Leaves (chopped)
1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add ground turkey, onion and garlic. Cook while breaking up the pieces with a spatula until browned. Transfer to your slow cooker. Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, bay leaves and oregano. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
2. About 1 hour before you are ready to eat, preheat the oven to 400. Carefully slice your spaghetti squash in half. Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and discard.
3. Line a baking sheet with foil and place the squash on the sheet with the flesh side up. Bake in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes depending on the size of the squash.
4. Remove from oven and allow it to cool until it is safe to handle. Use a fork to carve the flesh out of the squash. It should come out like spaghetti noodles. Place the flesh in a large mixing bowl and toss with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, chopped basil and season with sea salt and pepper to taste.
5. Remove bay leaves from slow cooker. Plate spaghetti squash and spoon bolognese sauce over top. Garnish with fresh ground pepper and red pepper flakes if you like it spicy. Enjoy!
– More Vegetables: Add diced green pepper, spinach and mushrooms.
– Vegetarian: Use lentils instead of ground turkey.
– More Carbs: Use brown rice pasta instead of spaghetti squash.